February 19, 2023

Synchronicity

With the rainy forecast for this week in mind, I thought I would tackle some yard work this afternoon.

But, wait ... the thermometer registered 67°F. A shift in the weather promises strong winds on Tuesday. Bike today, rake tomorrow. [Well, technically, Tuesday.]

The hens at Bernal-Gulnac-Joice Ranch were scratching determinedly at the edge of their pen. Plotting an escape, perhaps? They wouldn't survive one night outside. [Coyotes.]

The girls were not the least bit interested in me until I crouched down to their level and experimented with getting close for a photo. Were they curious about my phone, or drawn to the scent of an orange on my fingertips?

I'd rolled out at no particular time, heading for my default low-stress 27-mile route. [Ow.] I clearly haven't been getting enough saddle time. [Ow.] After yesterday's ride, my tender parts were ... tender. [Ow.]

And so it happened that, at the moment I was lumbering up a small hill and a runner was heading down on the adjacent sidewalk, we both did a double-take. Hold on, don't I know you?

The runner happened to be the person who had been my boss—for the longest continuous stretch (years)—until the team reorganized during an extended break I took last summer. When I'd shared, then, that I was “test-driving” retirement, he had been quick to respond. “I don't want you to leave, but I will support whatever you decide. And you will always have a home here.” Neither of us imagined that this would be out of his hands; at the company we had joined, it would not have been.

The company we'd joined was brimming with talent, including some of the best and the brightest I'd worked with at every prior job I'd had. And then, I worked with so many more! When asked what I liked most about my workplace, my answer was always quick: My colleagues. We were the keys to the company's success, and that's why I'd stayed.

For a few lucky minutes this afternoon, we were together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment