August 20, 2022

Montebello & Friends

My chief biking buddy has been lobbying for us to climb Montebello; a third friend tagged along, carrying 18 pounds in her panniers (training for an upcoming self-supported tour). In spite of that, she was still the first of us to reach the top.
It's a tough climb, so I didn't expect many folks to join us. And it took a lot out of me, today. I haven't been doing enough climbing.

There are some familiar landmarks. A particular mailbox (which many of us remember from years gone by, when it sported an American-flag theme). The school (an official landmark).

It would be easier if I just stopped for a moment in the shade ... [Don't do it.]

Here comes the steep straight section, it would be easier if I stopped for just a moment ... [Don't even think about it.]

Hard to believe I once raced up this climb with a finishing time of 55:32. [That was then.] 17 minutes slower today, but a minute faster than two years ago?! [Huh.]

Descending with care, I had my eye on two vehicles approaching the entrance to the Ridge winery. Not only did the first vehicle turn left, crossing our lane—the second SUV failed to yield as well. I veered and passed around the back of the vehicle. My friend followed close behind, berating the driver at the top of her lungs.

After 37 miles and 3,100 feet of climbing on a warm day, I was lucky to join a small backyard pizza party. Because of course a friend has a pizza oven (!) in his backyard (much more useful than its original incarnation as a fireplace). And of course he buys special flour (in 50-pound sacks). Being a newbie at this, mine was hardly a masterpiece. But maybe I'll get another chance (or two).

No comments:

Post a Comment