November 6, 2021

Rays of Autumn

I wasn't expecting a party.

I've been reluctant to start my cycling day with a long drive, especially because it means rising extra early. I've never been a morning person, and dark mornings are extra challenging.

Today's ride was appealing, though; I haven't dragged myself up Patterson Pass in ages, and the rest of our route would be more mellow.  The sun will rise, the hills are greening, and there would be moments where the lighting is just right.

There had been some mention of a pot-luck, which I figured I'd simply bypass.

When I managed to find the group (parked in a large field at a sports complex), the location made sense. This was more than a usual club ride—it was a thank-you for volunteers who had supported a double century a few months ago.

We were in the mix with a large crew of very strong riders. I was confused when I overheard one guy ask another if he planned to ride to the marina, which conjured up images of San Francisco Bay. That there is a “marina” at Lake Del Valle didn't occur to me, until the route led me there.

I tried to dodge the post-ride feast, having done nothing to earn my share, but our gracious host would simply not allow that.

Thirty-two miles, 2,620 feet of climbing and a little chow fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment