May 19, 2021

Wistful Wednesday

Well, I guess my fellow cyclists just aren't into after-work rides any more. With most offices still shuttered due to the county's pandemic health restrictions, it's not as though they would have to tangle with commuter traffic to get to the starting point.

It was a chilly evening, with strong, gusty winds. Being the sole rider, I considered whether I should simply abandon. [Yeah, right. Like I'm gonna do that.]

I had (blissfully) forgotten how hard tonight's climbs would be. Whose idea was this, anyway? [Oh yeah, my idea.]

Time for some self-talk. [Pep talk.] You've done these climbs before. You're in better shape now.

Should I skip Overlook? [Oh, c'mon, it's only a little over a mile.]

An uphill, seemingly unending mile. (For the whole route, just 14 miles, but 1,680 feet of climbing.)

There was another cyclist on Overlook, evidently doing hill repeats. [So, quit yer whining.]

When my heart rate spiked much higher than I expected, I questioned my “in better shape” assertion. Until I looked at the data.

Faster, by more than a minute, on the first climb.

Faster, by three minutes, on the last climb.

Just like Greg LeMond said: “It never gets easier; you just go faster.

Look at it this way: you suffer for a shorter period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment