March 25, 2021

On Paying Attention

I've been determined to enjoy an after-work ride most days, which is easier as the sun sets later and later. My challenge is to ride as far as possible and yet get home before the sky fades to black. These rides are mostly unremarkable.

Not so, today.

Cycling on the road demands a high level of attentiveness. There are road hazards: debris, potholes, cracks. There are animal hazards: squirrels, deer, turkeys, even the occasional peacock. And of course, human hazards: wrong-way cyclists, vehicles with inattentive drivers (and, sometimes, passengers).

I had my eye on a compact exiting a parking lot, puzzled by a metallic cylinder on the car's roof. Was it a camera? Judging the distance and predicting the driver would turn in front of me, I slowed. The passenger's hand reached up just as the (nearly full) can of Red Bull splashed to the curb, demonstrating one of the many ways that cups, bottles, and cans come to litter our roadways.

Stopped at a traffic signal, I was studying the play of late afternoon light on the hills and thinking about getting a good photo. A white pickup truck paused on the opposite side of the intersection before merging into the (empty) lane.

THWACK!

The sedan behind the pickup truck inexplicably accelerated and slammed into it. I'd call it a fender-bender, but the sedan's front fender was smashed and dangling; the pickup's rear fender might have been scratched, but not likely bent.

When the signal turned green, I was able to ease past the crash; probably stunned, they blocked traffic for several minutes before they pulled forward.

I got my photo, along with 22 miles and 400 feet of climbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment