February 6, 2021

Pffffft!

The Almaden Reservoir was not filled with chocolate, much as it might appear.

It's been a week since we last saw rain, but the muddy runoff hadn't yet settled out.

A friendly trio of fisherman waved goodbye as they drove off. They'd caught only one fish, a two-and-a-half pounder. Catch-and-release, it's strictly for sport—the fish are contaminated with mercury, a legacy of the New Almaden quicksilver mines.

My guardian angel was watching over me today. Two (downhill) miles from the end of our ride, I stopped to wait for my cycling buddy and parked my bike against the curb. Moments later there was an explosive hiss ... and my front tire was, instantaneously, flat. Had I not stopped there, then, I would almost certainly have crashed (descending at speed), the metal rim sliding out on the pavement.

This is the stuff of nightmares.

An earthly angel soon appeared in an SUV, a mountain biker heading for the nearby trail. He pulled out a full-sized floor pump, generously waited for me to replace my tube, and made short work of inflating it.

I had been puzzled not to find anything stuck in the tire, nor any obvious puncture in the tube. I imagined that the removable valve core had loosened; a small puncture would have leaked slowly. [I should know better.] Always take the time to find the cause.

Always.

I descended cautiously, tenatively. And luckily, my guardian angel was still watching over me. Because, when I did trouble myself to pump some air into that tube, certain I would confirm my hunch ... the air rushed out of a gash on the rim side of the tube. Despite having run my fingers over the rim after removing the tube, I had not felt a problem.

We were happy to ride 29 miles, climbing 1,820 feet, on another warm winter day. But above all, I'm grateful that I will get to ride another day. [After I attend to that wheel.]

No comments:

Post a Comment