November 21, 2020

A Touch of Color

A bright spot in the landscape. Even in the Bay Area, some trees do grace us with traditional fall colors.

We were delighted to cross paths with a couple of club members, singletons out for their rides. My chief ride buddy and I form a socially-distant pair, keeping each other in sight and otherwise pausing before making a turn.

Truth be told, capturing a photo of the broad-leafed maple's brilliant yellow leaves was only one factor in my decision to stop. The larger factor was my weakness on the steep grade (heart rate, 177 bpm). If I can't manage this side of Hicks, I certainly can't manage the (even steeper) other side.

Heading out on our loop, we passed the usual spin class—now expanded into the shopping center's parking lot. Would it be cheeky of me to wave? I am so tempted.

On our way back, we passed a guy in a hoodie, biking with his helmet (unbuckled, of course) perched on top. He was wearing a face mask, so ... there's that. Likelihood of serious head injury if he crashes: High. Likelihood of encountering an infectious dose of a virus somehow wafting in the breeze: Zero, essentially.

The climb did me in: 29 miles, 1,825 feet of ascent. I told myself I'd be glad that I did it, after I was done. [True, that.] And I suppose I should keep trying. [I suppose.]

No comments:

Post a Comment