August 8, 2020

(Un)group Ride

A caution sign for motorists is often a harbinger of joy for cyclists. Translation: Tight curves and steep(ish) grades ahead.

Our club's calendar opened three weeks ago, for those wishing to lead (small) group rides, after a suitable update to our county's rules. To be safe, we remind people to stay home if they have any symptoms or known exposure to COVID-19, and we require social distancing and face coverings whenever stopped near other people.

To join a ride, or not? That was the question.

After mulling it over, I proposed to my chief ride buddy that we show up for today's ride. Listings on the calendar are few and far between; those who expected pent-up demand are likely disappointed.

For us, the routine would not be all that different. Because we're slow, we often roll out ahead of the group (and end up off the back). Today was no exception. With a head start of (at least) 15 minutes, the pack didn't materialize until we'd crested the second hill, almost 10 miles from the start. Whenever I'd pause for my ride buddy to catch up, I'd deliberately stop a good 10 or 20 yards away from where I knew the rest of the group would gather. At one such stop, our ride leader arrived to admonish them: “Social distancing, guys!”

I tuned out a guy who was holding forth with a scary tale of some road hazard, presumably on this road (“ ... rider couldn't avoid ... no guardrail ...”) Enough of that. I started my descent and kept a careful eye on the road, which was freshly paved. “That was almost fun,” another rider remarked at the bottom. (Almost? It was fun.)

We thought it would be hotter than it was, but we were determined to finish while it was still pleasant and mostly kept moving. I spotted a couple of deer and a small gang of turkeys. Cattle sheltered in whatever shade they could find, watching silly humans sweat in full sun. 44 miles, 1,140 feet of climbing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment