July 3, 2020

The Rules

Even a simple bike ride is complicated these days.

Calaveras Road, on a Friday, seemed like a friendly option. (There was more traffic than I expected. More than on a typical Saturday, even.)

We thought we'd follow our usual route into Sunol Regional Wilderness Park, where the porta-potties should be available, so I checked the current set of rules for Alameda County.

Unlike most other jurisdictions, which require outdoor mask-wearing if you're within 6 feet of another person, Alameda County requires you to cover your nose and mouth if you're within 30 feet of anyone outside your “social bubble.” Even if you are cycling. When I'm climbing a hill, the last thing I need is less oxygen. And how is compliance even feasible, in the (likely) event a faster cyclist overtakes me? Am I simply expected to restrict my breathing at all times?

I'm all for mask-wearing ... outdoors, when social distancing isn't feasible. Certainly whenever I'm indoors around other people. I'm all for evidence-based rules. To the best of my knowledge, there is no evidence that I might be exposed to a concentrated viral load in the open (breezy) air if a cyclist exhales 20, or 10, feet in front of me.

There were a lot of cyclists on the road; more than usual, I'd say. We lingered to chat (safely distant) at the county line. Many dutifully wore masks or bandanas over their noses and mouths as they passed into Alameda County. We also watched a couple of stray cows grazing on the hillside above us, having slipped the fence somewhere. The grass is always greener, eh?

A woodpecker (Nuttall's, I think) glided onto a branch in front of me, but I wasn't quick enough to get a photo. A pair of deer eyed me warily from the slope below. And, for the first time on this route, quail. A large covey, in fact: one adult followed by so many chicks I lost count as I laughed at the stragglers. (Two dozen, at least.)

A paltry 21 miles, 1,880 feet of climbing. We extended our ride a bit; yes, we could have climbed Felter, but I wasn't up for that. Save it for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment