September 6, 2019

Monterey by Day

How many times have I headed down to stay in Monterey the night before the Best Buddies Hearst Castle Challenge? [Many times, though not the past two years when the ride started in San Simeon.]

And how many times did I think “I should get there earlier and spend some time in Monterey.” [Many times, but I never actually did. Till today.]

I arrived at the Aquarium in time for one of their signature features: a diver feeding fish in the kelp forest tank.

Barnacles were hungry, too. There are many clever exhibits to engage visitors, like this one: turn a wheel to set the current moving in the tank and watch the barnacles extend their feathery feet to filter food as it flows by.

There are so many strange sea creatures, and the Aquarium does a masterful job of presenting them. I was fascinated watching the squid fluttering forward, arms extended. Such big eyes! What do they make of us, staring at them from the other side of the glass?

A short visit is better than no visit ... make the time for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment