March 30, 2019

Emerald Hills

All too soon emerald will fade to olive, olive to gold, gold to brown. The rains will stop. [Right?]

This could be it: the best chance to enjoy Calaveras Reservoir and the surrounding hills at their peak.

Up the wall, which has become less daunting after so many ascents. My heart rate topped out at 181 bpm.

The hills did not disappoint, but there were fewer wildflowers than I've seen here in the past.

How I wanted to drop down the back side, now that the road is (finally) open again! And I would have, had anyone else in the group chosen to continue. But not alone, not today; not without more riding in my legs this season.

Loitering at the turnaround point paid off, as a long stream of motorcycles thundered past; we were grateful not to be sharing the narrow curves with them.

A modest 2,070 feet of climbing over 27 miles, on a shimmering clear day.

No comments:

Post a Comment