August 17, 2018

Kouign-amann Karma

When you bike to work and find a kouignette waiting on your desk, the day is off to a great start.

Kouignette pastry glistening with sugar crystals
I had never heard of (much less tasted) a kouign-amann before. (Think croissant meets sticky bun.) One of my colleagues completed a rigorous professional pastry-chef curriculum this year as a way to relax (?!) and unwind from the stresses of work. [Yeah, I don't understand, either.] When his final “exam” was judged by local restaurateurs, one offered him a job on the spot. But that wasn't the point ...

Thus, it's not uncommon to find something delectable next to your keyboard in the morning.

My other stroke of good fortune, this week, is that I'm taking care of a friend's cat while she's away. She was in an unexpected bind because her regular cat-sitter had moved out of the area.

Me: Um, I can do it?

Friend: OMG, you don't know how much money you're saving me!

Me: And you will not pay me a dime! Your place is 3.5 miles from my office! I can just bike there, every day!

Smoky sunset viewed from pedestrian/bike bridge over State Highway 101, Sunnyvale, Calfironia
It's still smoky.

Close-up of ginger-colored cat
Kitty and I got along famously. He wandered in late the first night, ate, jumped up to check me out, purred and curled up on my lap to sleep. (Get that laptop out of the way!)

Each morning he'd climb onto my chest as soon as I woke up and nuzzle his purring head under my chin. Within a day, he'd adapted to my schedule.

This all worked wonders to reduce my stress level.

Piece of hazelnut/chocolate rugelach dusted with powdered sugar.
That, and the hazelnut/chocolate rugelach.

No comments:

Post a Comment