July 8, 2018

Rattlesnake Reparation

The route for today would be shorter and less strenuous, but my friends humored me with an earlier start.

Ornamental residential entry gate, metalwork depicting mountains, clouds, and a lake, near Nevada City, California
We meandered through rural residential neighborhoods on quiet roads. The area offers a mix of the affordable and ... the less affordable. We stopped to admire this impressive entry gate, a tribute to the land complete with a swirling lake and cloud-topped mountains.

The route also offered more shade, overall, so I was having a much better day.

I was looking forward to the promise of a lovely descent on Rattlesnake Road, but alas: The road had been trenched for most of its length and the infill spoiled it. I'm sure it will be nice again, someday, when it's properly repaved.

Mining equipment on the grounds of the Northstar Mining Museum, Grass Valley, California
We regrouped at the Northstar Mining Museum, which was closed. Much mining equipment was displayed outdoors, anyway (in its natural habitat, as it were). These were not small machines.

pep's bike next to a Pelton Wheel, Northstar Mining Museum, Grass Valley, California
This Pelton wheel was forged at a foundry less than 500 yards from where it rests now, out of service. Much more efficient than the familiar traditional water wheel, it was a big innovation in energy delivery (and is apparently still used, in places, today). [Learn something new every day, even at play, that's my motto.]

My friends were keen to extend our route to revisit some scenic views. “A little more climbing,” in the heat of the day.

I was having none of that. 30 miles and 2,380 feet of climbing felt just right to me; I had no desire to get overheated again. Besides, I knew where to get a nice berry smoothie and a cool shower—and have enough time left in the day for a local adventure off the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment