November 9, 2016

Bike Parking

Cyclist with bike descending into underground parking, Amsterdam Zuid station, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Near the train station, I noticed a well-lit entrance with moving ramps descending below ground. An entrance to the Metro station, perhaps? The signage did not include an English translation.

Bicycles stored underground, Amsterdam Zuid station, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
After passing it a few times, the large blue “P” and bicycle icon finally registered. It's the entrance to an underground bicycle parking garage! You check in with your regular electronic fare card at a kiosk, and then check out with the attendants wielding hand-held scanners. If I understood them correctly, you pay only for the first 24 hours. There were plenty of spaces available; most people park their bikes on the street. But if you're headed away for a couple of days on the train, this would be the place to secure your bike. It's also possible to rent a bicycle here.

Weathered bicycle, double-locked, on a cement pad surrounded by water, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Most bikes are secured with two locks. First, a horseshoe-shaped lock, placed within the rear triangle, that prevents the rear wheel from moving (or being removed). Second, a heavy (and I do mean heavy) chain in a protective fabric sheath to secure the bike (and its front wheel) to rack, fence, lightpost, tree—the usual.

Bicycles parked in a small plaza, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I'd say that I saw it all here, in terms of cycling, but I'm sure I didn't.

Child riding in a rear seat, Zaandam, The Netherlands
Most cyclists simply bike in their street clothes—wool coats, not even bothering with raincoats much less full-on cycling rain gear. I saw exactly three cyclists wearing helmets—and they were also the only ones I saw with road bikes, in full kit. I did see one middle-aged woman cycling in a fur (?) jacket stamped all over with Mickey Mouse heads.

I saw a boy standing on the rear rack as a parent pedaled.

An adult riding side-saddle on the rear rack (more than one sighting).

Many bicycles, including one with two child seats and panniers, Zaandam, The Netherlands
Kids in seats mounted fore and aft. I'm enough of a klutz just by myself; I wish I'd seen how you balance a bike while getting two squirmy kids into (and out of) their seats.

Bakfiets cargo bicycle with a plastic canopy, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
People commonly transport anywhere from one to three kids on a cargo bike, with or without a cover.

Biking with umbrellas. Biking with packages. Biking while carrying a piece of art. Bikes with baskets, crates, and panniers.

Bicycles parked in a plaza on a rainy day, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Seat covers are popular (what with all this rain). The bright pink ones advertised a grocery store, deep purple for a beauty salon.

Deluxe Babboe cargo bike, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
A deluxe chariot, outfitted with a padded bench and straps to secure the kids.

Interior view, padded bench with straps, Babboe cargo bicycle, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I haven't noticed many overweight locals (much less, obese). The necessity of exercise helps with that, I expect.

Bicycles parked three and four deep alongside a canal, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

No comments:

Post a Comment