May 8, 2014

Follow Me

Bike to Work Day has a special significance for me. With the encouragement and support of a colleague, I biked to work for the very first time on Bike to Work Day eight years ago. Thousands of bike-commute miles later, I return the favor by inviting colleagues to join me each May.

Cyclists arriving at work
Twenty-nine people followed me to work this morning; a few were making the trip for the first time.

I was making the trip for the fourth time this week.

We started at a local commuter shuttle stop, since most people would load themselves (and their bikes) onto a bus for the return trip.

I keep it simple:
  1. Give each other space.
  2. Call out “slowing” and “stopping.”
  3. Don't take chances. If we get separated by a red light, we will wait for you.
  4. Have fun.
[Guess which rule is most important.]

We waited for some riders from nearby San Jose to join us, then swept up a few more along the way in Saratoga.
This is much easier than I thought it would be. [Success!]

Cyclists crossing under Highway 101 alongside Stevens Creek (Narrative Clip)
Being out in front makes it tough to capture photos en route. This year I mounted my Narrative Clip to the back of my helmet, and it turned out to be the best application for my Clip (to date). Not only did it capture plenty of respectable photos, it captured plenty of smiles. And all of those smiles were natural—no one expected that little orange square was automatically snapping photos as we rolled along.
Today is the first time I will ride back home. [Success!]
The clouds looked ominous, but we were spared any rain. If only we could have been spared the headwind ...
I want to ride back home with you. [A first-timer. And, she did!]
For me, 43 miles, some 960 feet of climbing, and much joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment