June 15, 2013

To the Junction

Sign: The Junction Cafe. Road sign: San Jose 38, Patterson 25, Interstate 5 25.
The first time I biked out here, I was not convinced I would do it again. The Junction (where Mines Road meets San Antonio Valley Road at Del Puerto Canyon Road) is a long way from anywhere. Twenty-five miles from Livermore. Twenty-five miles from Patterson. Thirty-eight miles from San Jose (up and over Mt. Hamilton).

This time of year, the stream bed is dry and the hillsides are golden. The road curves and rolls through the canyon; miles and miles of solitude.

Oak tree in a golden field, tree-studded hillside in the distance.
Past three horses inexplicably packed side-by-side in a field, the outer two flanking the one in the middle, shoulder-to-haunch. I would have stopped for a photo, but figured that would only spook them into moving. Like the young bull resting in the shade next to the road, who stood up and pointed his hind quarters at me, all the while eying me with suspicion.

Small blue lake near the summit.
There are a few roadside call boxes; don't even think about cell phone coverage out here. I recently learned that the huge numbers on the road surface (mile markers) are painted so the helicopter crew will know where to find you. My ride buddy and I kept each other (mostly) in sight.

I rounded a bend to find a deer staring me down, some 50 feet ahead in my lane. A red Corvette had been holding back for a safe place to pass me; the driver was rewarded for his good judgment when that deer scampered away.

Not too hot, not too windy: a just-about-perfect day to enjoy 58 miles with a mere 3,615 feet of climbing. I will do this again.

2 comments:

  1. With that amount of climbing in guessing you started from Livermore?

    I want to ride out there sometime but this time of year heat is my main concern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started near the intersection of Concannon Blvd and S. Livermore Ave. The weather was ideal on Saturday; definitely not a warm-weather ride - there is no shade. Bring plenty of water. You will be able to refill at the Junction Café.

    ReplyDelete