July 16, 2011

Tasty Toppings

I wanted to stop, of course. On the steepest grades, I pulled my front wheel off the pavement many times. I did not stop.

I tacked across the hill, in places. I watched my heart rate level off. 183? How long could I sustain that? I did not stop.

I kept moving, forward and upward: 12% grade for almost a mile. Just a little farther, I coaxed myself. Tough it out, it's not so steep. Fellow riders encouraged me: That's the crest of the hill, another 200 yards!

When the road is named Scenic Vista, you might guess that you are in the high-rent district. The personal tennis court at the top would be another clue. This climb was our appetizer.

For our main course, we moved on to Hicks. After Scenic Vista, it seemed less steep. Steep, yes. But, less steep. When the power lines came into view, I knew the summit was near. This was, perhaps, the first time I have climbed that side without stopping. Definitely the first time I have passed, and dropped, another rider on Hicks.

My next challenge was dodging a dingbat driver in a deteriorating red Miata. If she passed me once, she passed me four times—repeatedly stopping in the bike lane to play with her iPhone. Put it down, and drive! Or park somewhere, shut off the engine, and text to your heart's delight.

My heart's delight was dessert: rocky road, cookies 'n cream, chopped nuts, chocolate sauce, fresh strawberries and blueberries. A nice offset for the 1600 calories expended on my way to the club's annual ice cream social. That's what I call a balanced budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment