January 16, 2010

Avant le Déluge

Sipping hot chocolate while gazing absently out my kitchen window, I saw a car drive past with its windshield wipers on. Only then did I notice the rain. I had been home from today's ride for (at most) ten minutes.

It was a short, social ride with a big turnout. Most of us shared the same thought: Get out there before we are house-bound by the coming week (or more) of rain. Choose a shorter ride in case the weather arrives early. Our first re-group came at mile 4.5, having pedaled for a mere 25 minutes. That seemed impossible - had my cycle computer stopped recording data for awhile? But no, we really did spend almost as much time waiting as riding today.

The sun peeked through early in the day, but was ultimately smothered by gray clouds. With two French teachers in our midst and stories from a fellow rider who led a tour through the French Alps last summer, what could be more fitting than lunch at Le Boulanger? Good fortune for hungry cyclists: They were handing out a free demi-baguette with every purchase. I was well-equipped to carry mine home.

An easy day: 21 miles, 1830 feet of climbing.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I missed out on the freebie! Say, how's the orange L? At least I believe that the wheel indicated it to be a L. Don't get it dirty with the coming rain, eh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the baguette photo. Would have been better with a coffee in the front cage, of course.

    ReplyDelete