September 24, 2009

What to Wear

Such a complicated piece of machinery, the modern automobile. Some months ago (I confess), a helpful indicator lit up to alert me to some minor tail light issue. My local mechanic explained that replacing the bulb involved a substantial amount of disassembly and I should not wait for the car. I returned the next morning to furrowed brows, lots of dangling wires, and the news that it would require more troubleshooting. Needing the car, I drove off and procrastinated.

This morning I wanted to wear my newest cycling jersey, from my recent Best Buddies ride. Audi is a generous sponsor of that event, and their logo is emblazoned front and center. It seemed imprudent to show up for service sporting the colors of a rival German automaker, so I opted for a more neutral choice. Given the raised eyebrows I get, I suspect that few service customers pull up to this dealership, lift a bicycle out of the car, and pedal away. Works for me.

Tuesday was a Spare the Air Day, with the forecast for high temperatures and no onshore breeze. Such conditions conspire to trap stagnant air in the valley, and we are encouraged to drive less (preferably, not at all). My daily tally of fellow cyclists topped 100 that day, but as I pedaled over Highway 280 that evening, I looked down at a veritable parking lot.

My sturdy commute bike being too awkward and heavy to load into the car, today's ride entailed advance planning. Without a rack and bag on my featherweight road bike, I left a change of clothes at the office. The morning ride was so effortless, I felt guilty enjoying my second breakfast.

Of course, I understand that weight matters - but how much? What would happen if I traveled my normal commute route on my road bike? Today, I would find out. The tail light repair, involving wiring harnesses that twist and snake through tight places, was still more complicated than expected. The car would not be ready until tomorrow.

This could mean only one thing: in addition to the two small gratuitous hills that provide an occasional diversion on the way home, there was no reason not to explore the final short steep bit to the Rinconada Water Treatment plant. What a view of the Santa Clara Valley! (No camera, so you will have to take my word for it.) Despite the added distance and climbing, I made it home in record time. Stats: 20.9 miles, 810 feet of climbing.

Good thing I didn't wear that Audi jersey this morning, or I would be convinced that they had kept the car overnight as payback.

No comments:

Post a Comment