May 23, 2009

Tortoises Climbing Harwood

The first hill on today's route was the steepest, with the grade of one section averaging 13.1% for 640 meters (okay, okay, four tenths of a mile). Harwood is a residential street with lots of "view properties," and I can only imagine that the locals think we're a bunch of loonies for riding up there. It wasn't as grueling as I remembered it, which is a sign that I am getting stronger. I averaged 4.1 mph on the steep bit, and believe me, I am capable of staying upright at lower speeds.

Our intrepid ride leader, Marcia, is one of my personal heroes. When I grow up, I hope I will have her strength and stamina. She may be slow (her rides are titled "Tortoises Climbing Hills"), but she rides up steep stuff that I have not found the nerve to tackle.

And now a word about tires.

Our start was delayed when I noticed a rear flat tire on a fellow cyclist's bike just as we were ready to roll. Flats happen, but with a little attention I believe it is possible to minimize the number you will have to fix on the road. Here are some handy tips:
  • Stay out of the gutter, which collects thorns, broken glass, and other debris swept out of the traffic lane by cars.
  • After every ride, closely inspect your tires, remove anything that's embedded, and look for troublesome cuts. If you do this at the end of your ride, you won't be deflated at the start of your next one.
Those miniscule shards of glass you may have picked up on today's ride will be a problem on your next ride, or the one after that, as the tires keep rotating and drive them deeper through the tread. Sometimes, a thorn or tiny piece of wire will simultaneously pierce the tube and plug the hole, setting up a slow leak. Better to hear that disheartening sssss at home, as you pull it out, than to be stuck along the side of the road tomorrow.

My legs were good and the temperature was ideal, so I was hungry for some extra miles and climbing. My ride buddy agreed to join me, and we lured another rider along for a sustained climb up a nearby hill (a steady 10.5% grade from the base to the end of the road, a mile and a quarter later). On the ascent, I was impressed by the view down a precipitous canyon to my right. Note to self: stay very focused later on this curvy, technical descent.

A short ride today, 30 miles with 2,950 feet of climbing.

1 comment:

  1. I suspect that our mutual secret to getting few flats is to weigh less than 130 pounds. A rider of our acquaintance, M.M., weighs almost exactly twice as much as me and rides tires of the same width. Even if he pumps his tires higher, his contact patch with the road is going to have about twice as much pressure to drive sharp objects in. A factor of two is a lot!

    I rode a gradient over 20% repeatedly today, but only for about 15' at a time:

    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=110998281486344794020.00046a992ff635cd1f677&z=19

    ReplyDelete