April 11, 2009

Tierra Bella Preview

It was so cold and gloomy for most of the morning that even the poppies were reluctant to unfurl. Forty-odd miles into the ride, the sun started to break through and I bravely peeled off my jacket.

Today's ride was a preview of the 100 kilometer route for one of our club's big events, the Tierra Bella. For those of us who provide the volunteer labor next Saturday, this was our chance to enjoy the route (and, verify the route markings along the way). A few of our fellow volunteers graciously staffed some rest stops for us, so we were not totally unsupported; at the end, we joined together for a celebratory barbecue.

This biking thing - it's really all about the food, you know. Oranges, cookies, strawberries, salty snacks, cantaloupe, peanut butter and jelly. Chocolate.

Cruising along Uvas Road, I was passed by a polite and orderly peloton of racers from the San Jose Bicycle Club (with some Plus 3 Network jerseys in the mix). The leader alerted me ("Peloton coming through") as they streamed by, single file. Of course, it's in their best interests to warn me, lest I move unpredictably and trigger a pile-up.

Resistance is futile. Must give chase. Pick up the pace. Stay with the boys. I expected to be dropped at the first uphill roller, but much to my surprise, I did not lose contact. It was hard work, but quite the thrill to hang on at 25+ mph. Having flown past my ride partner, he was now a distant speck in my rear view mirror. Time to slow down and take in the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment