February 10, 2009

Frosty Rooftops

I don't carry a camera on my commute rides - I'm just trying to get to work, or back home. When I found myself rolling up to a left turn behind a small steam roller this morning, it was one of those shots-that-got-away. [There was no steam involved, but what else do you call those things?] I was happy to discover that I am faster than some motorized vehicle, especially when he chose to rattle along in the bike lane behind me.

This morning's ride was not without a form of steam, however, as I could easily see my breath. It was less than one degree above freezing when I left home, and not much warmer when I arrived at work. Yes, it does get that cold (or colder) in the Bay Area during the winter. Frost was thick on the rooftops, and I noticed one property where the homeowner would have learned a lot about heat loss had he ventured outside to examine the pattern on his roof.

My cyclist count was at a record low this morning (14), most likely a result of the chilly air. This was the coldest cycling trip I've taken, but I was quite comfy. From time to time, other riders ask me what they should wear to be warm enough, but that's a question they need to answer for themselves. Experiment, figure out what works; every body is different. In general, keep the extremities warm and don't overdo it on the core.

Here's what worked for me, this morning - and trust me, I don't like to be cold:
  • Woolie Boolie socks, Baah! DeFeet: warm, with a sense of humor.
  • Sugoi Resistor Booties: warm, ready for possible rain on the ride home.
  • Pearl Izumi Thermafleece tights: often too warm, best for really cold days.
  • Woolistic jersey, long sleeves: wool really does keep you "warm, even when wet."
  • Craft winter rain jacket: perfect outer layer, in bright neon yellow.
  • Castelli Max Donna gloves: warm, with a cuff that cinches above the wrist.
  • Planet Buff head cover: thin, easily fits under a helmet, surprisingly warm.
The first three miles of my ride are mostly uphill, so I was generating the watts and I was toasty warm - even on the sections where I cruised at 34+ mph. After that, the ride is essentially flat (slightly downhill), and the tips of my fingers and toes were a bit tingly - but not so much that I was motivated to crank a little harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment