January 13, 2009

Moon Over Cupertino

We're in the midst of a veritable heat wave in the Bay Area, but I needed a rest day yesterday. I overdid it with 83 miles and 5,800 feet of climbing over the weekend, having neglected endurance rides in favor of short, intense efforts over the past couple of months. My legs felt like lead on Monday.

I did capture a picture of the nearly-full moon over Cupertino on my way to work this morning, but it was a disappointment (unlike the real moment). I enjoyed a leisurely ride, but saw fewer cyclists than usual (21).

The number of dicey driving maneuvers was about typical, though (3). Starting at 7:20 am with the ignorant motorist who honked at me for being in the right place (the right edge of the lane proceeding straight over the freeway, as opposed to the right edge of the lane turning onto the freeway). Good morning.

Next up, a guy in a Jeep waiting to turn left at a light, with his cell phone plastered to his right ear. Unsure whether he planned to steer with his left hand or his knees, I gave him plenty of space.

Finally, a commercial pick-up truck turning left onto another freeway, trailing the line of cars before him, through a light that was already quite red. Always bike attentively.

No comments:

Post a Comment