May 1, 2009

The Siren Song of the Suspension Span

Some of my Cupertino friends were dismayed when I told them that I really didn't need that fancy bike bridge being erected over Highway 280. It's not along the most direct route for me, and a nearby surface street (with bike lanes) passes safely over the freeway.

By the time the much-heralded bridge opened (yesterday afternoon), curiosity had gotten the best of me. I wanted to cross the span while it was fresh and shiny, before the graffiti vandals inevitably defile it.

Could I manage a Friday morning commute to work? Rain in the forecast. Out late on Thursday night and not enough sleep. A crick in my back. Set the alarm for an early wake-up, but expect to stay in bed.

The skies were threatening, but the streets were barely wet. With visions of the bridge dancing in my head, I headed out. The new span did not disappoint. It soars over the freeway and might be worth the slight detour for inspirational value alone. More than eight lanes of traffic below send up an impressive roar.

Surprisingly, it may also save some time by sending me on a route with fewer traffic lights and less congestion. The north end of the bridge leads to a busy thoroughfare, and it appears that a design for efficiently crossing that was not factored into this project. Unfortunate, but not insurmountable.

My return commute was more prosaic. I opted for a shuttle ride back to my home town, thus facilitating a short, 2.5-mile bike ride home. With the benefit of some good karma, the light rain turned into a downpour only after I stepped inside the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment