May 3, 2009

Maybe Next Year

I've heard that the Grizzly Peak Century is a scenic and challenging ride. Maybe next year.

Last year, I developed a sore throat the day before the ride and opted to stay home.

This year, I drove up to Walnut Creek despite the ominous weather forecast. Too late to cancel my motel reservation, anyway. As I loaded my bag into the car this morning at 6 a.m., I was misted by the first sprinkles of rain. Not bad, I thought; maybe it will stop. As I loaded my bike into the car, the skies opened up and drenched me.

Biking 73 miles in the rain is not my idea of a fun day. Slippery roads, flat tires, treacherous descents. I drove to Moraga to check out the start.

There was no shortage of parking, but more (fool)hardy souls in bright jackets heading out than I had expected. I ran into two racers I know from the Low-Key Hillclimbs. I told Janet she is a tougher woman than I, but she thought I might be the wiser. Jennie had raced the Cat's Hill Criterium yesterday. Nothing like a miserable day in the rain after that, eh? I'm not sure which I'd prefer, but I am sure that Jennie is a much tougher woman than I.

Being on their home turf, Plan B was to ride 30-odd miles and wind up at Peet's for some hot coffee. Luckily I had changed out of my biking clothes, or I might have been tempted to join them.

No comments:

Post a Comment