February 17, 2009

Ringside on Sierra Road

As I started hiking up Sierra Road this morning, I thought about the sunscreen I didn't apply and envied the cyclists streaming up the hill. The cold, driving rain returned before I took up my position at the base of the final steep stretch before the finish, and I celebrated my decision to leave the bike at home.

I captured a few photos during my hike, before the wind and rain interfered. For the race, I chose an uncontested spot at the base of the final steep ascent that turned out to be a nearly perfect vantage point to watch Stage 3 of the Amgen Tour of California. With my back to the windblown rain, I hooked my umbrella around a post for shelter and planted my warm, waterproof boots in the mud.

Francisco Mancebo was part of the initial breakaway, but he had one thing on his mind: the King of the Mountain points atop Sierra Road. He chose to attack and pull away right in front of me! You can see that the other guys are not enjoying the climb, but is that a grin on Mancebo's face? My next shot, four seconds later, shows him pulling around to pass them on the right; and then, I just watched him go.

I was surprised to see the damage done by Sierra Road, which began only about six miles into the race. The breakaway had established itself before the climb, and had close to a 42-second advantage when they passed me. The peloton was large when it passed, but some splintering had already been done. Cavendish was lagging by about two and a half minutes, and the last rider by five and half - over less than ten miles of racing. I was also surprised to see jackets on most of the peloton. How do they not overheat? Generating far fewer watts than they do, I was too warm hiking up the hill.

The early position of the climb was a boon for spectators, as it meant a brief wait for the broom wagon to sweep by. I hiked back down the hill to join a party hosted each year by some generous members of our bike club who live near the base of Sierra Road. Hiking up the hill was less strenuous than cycling up, but a workout nonetheless, and I was grateful for warm lasagna on a cold day. Luckily, we watched the rest of the race play out via the live streaming Internet feed; at home, I would discover yet another aborted Versus broadcast on my PVR (due to a later-than-expected finish).

I was rooting for Cavendish to sprint across the line, and probably just as surprised as Hincapie that he was nowhere in sight. Overall, an off day for Mark?

1 comment:

  1. Cavendish is erratic I think. Where was he during the Olympics last summer, when Hoy and Wiggins were the big heroes for the Brits?

    I wonder why Contador isn't here this week. Is Astana simply saving him, or is there interest politics going on with Levi and Lance?

    ReplyDelete