January 1, 2009

Firsts on First

They said the fog would lift at 10. It lifted, grudgingly, at 4.

It was less cold and wet than yesterday, but the mist brought a certain surreality to the San Bruno Mountain Hill Climb. I would hear the finish line before I could see it.

The pack took off at a blistering pace.
Yikes! I was off the back in no time, and with adrenaline spiking my heart rate, spinning seemed like A Mighty Good Plan. I caught and dropped another woman from the Cat 4 field before the veil of fog shrouded the rest. Her front wheel came into view briefly near the bottom of the upper climb, but I held her off - to finish: Not Last!

It's important to have goals. Being a late bloomer, I focus on the achievable. Although, this being an official bicycle race, being
Not Last was conceivably a stretch goal. I was delighted to be cheered by spectators along the way, enthusiastic children with cowbells, and the encouraging shouts of descending racers as I approached the summit. And with so many familiar faces from the Low-Key Hillclimbs, overall I felt more relaxed and less intimidated.

My first official bicycle race. My best time up San Bruno Mountain. A blog begins.

2 comments: