March 11, 2015

Bike the Track

No, not the velodrome; a different breed of track. For racing fast things with motors, ordinarily.

Looking down at Turn 9, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Salinas, California
One of the more unusual places to ride a bicycle in the Bay Area is a track of some renown: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. They host a monthly Twilight Ride for bicycles, which I had decided to check out this month. The timing couldn't have been better: What could be a more fitting inaugural outing for my new ride than this?

My shadow on the track approaching the overhead bridge before Turn 6, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Salinas, California
It was a perfect fit: the track's signature colors matched my bike (black, white, blue). I might have been the only first-timer tonight—but not the slowest. It was a pretty casual affair: pay the $10 fee, turn left, and go. The steepest climb leads to the track's famous corkscrew, a precipitous drop through a set of quick turns.

Despite pausing to snapshot the views, I was surprised at how quickly I completed the first circuit. The loop is 2.238 miles. (To be precise). Fast bike?

Straightaway leading to Turn 4, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Salinas, California
Smooth pavement, lovely curves, a steep climb, a thrilling descent ... what's not to like? I wondered if circling the same loop would become boring, but found it became more fun as I challenged myself to push harder, to take a faster line through each turn. With only about two dozen cyclists spread out over the course, it often felt like I had the place to myself.

Best lap: 10:43.
Max speed: 40.82 mph, at this spot.
Overall, 1,110 feet of climbing over 14 miles.

pep rounding Turn 11, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, Salinas, California
Zoom zoom.

No comments:

Post a Comment