September 8, 2014

Bishop or Bust

For the past few years, some club members have been leading a set of fall rides in the Eastern Sierras. This year, I resolved to join them; my calendar was clear.

Mono Lake, California
It's a long way to Bishop (314 miles). Road trip! But could I handle the drive? Plan A was to split the journey, driving about halfway on Sunday afternoon and finishing on Monday morning.

Paradoxically, it can be easier for me to bike 100 miles than to drive it. Freeway driving, especially in a warm sunny car, lulls me to sleep.

To execute Plan A, I needed to return from Best Buddies, load up the car, and go. In other words, I needed to have my act together ... which I did not.

The prospect of arriving at some motel in an unfamiliar town at night was not appealing, so I resorted to Plan B: Get a good night's rest and drive the distance in one day.

I avoided the route through Yosemite, with its sightseers and delays for road work, opting instead for the longer northerly route over the Sonora Pass. I drove for miles and miles (and miles) without seeing another human being, much less a vehicle, and was glad that my mechanic had inspected the car last week.

I made it! [Whew.] I didn't feel drowsy, and I think the scenic route helped with that. Eighty miles of winding roads through a national forest commanded my attention, and I didn't even get halfway through my collection of MP3 tunes. The views got more spectacular as I approached the summit; unsure how well I would manage the drive, I didn't stop as the photo opportunities rolled past my windows. [Note to self: Take the same route home. Stop often.]

By the time I reached Mono Lake, another destination long on my wish list, I was confident that I could complete the drive safely. I made a quick stop, and planned a longer visit for the return drive. Closer to Bishop, the afternoon sun delivered a rainbow in the hills behind Crowley Lake.

Rainbow over Crowley Lake, Bishop, California
Little did I know that I would get a better perspective on that reservoir in a few days' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment