April 17, 2014

Scenes from a Commute

Bright yellow flowers on a California flannel bush (Fremontodendron californicum) along the Stevens Creek Trail
Some California flannel bushes are in full bloom along the Stevens Creek Trail, others have already peaked.

“You got it! You can take him!” Stopped at a traffic light, a motorist made me laugh. He was referring to the shirt-less, helmet-less dude in front of me.

It was a hectic week, jam-packed with meetings and a couple of way-too-early days. Energized by one productive-but-intense review, I remarked “That was fun!” One of the engineers deadpanned “You like to ride a bicycle up steep hills.”

Biking home is a great way to unwind. I squeezed in two bicycle commutes and was tempted to make it a three-fer, but decided to save my legs for Saturday.

The trail is not uniformly scenic.

High voltage towers and lines along the Stevens Creek Trail (Narrative Clip)
The first of five bridges on the way home.

Bike-ped bridge over Moffett Blvd. (Narrative Clip)
I have been playing with a new gadget that automatically captures a photo every 30 seconds. Needless to say, most of the shots are utterly worthless. Here is a selfie as I cross the last bridge before leaving the trail.

Shadow of pep crossing a bike-ped bridge over Hwy 85. (Narrative Clip)
As I browsed through the collection (more than 2,000 photos for the round trip), I was surprised to see things I have otherwise never noticed. Here I am signaling a right turn, somewhere. (I'm not exactly sure where.)

Shadow of bicycle and pep signaling a right turn. (Narrative Clip)
Like many digital cameras, this one is challenged by the sky.

Shadow of pep and bicycle in late-day light next to a retaining wall. (Narrative Clip)
In principle, the little camera seemed ideal for biking. In reality, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment