July 5, 2010

One Cool Canyon

What better way to start a holiday morning than to get up and out on the bike early? With the promise of another hot day ahead, a short ride into a cool canyon was enticing.

Highway 9 has recently been repaved from Los Gatos to Saratoga, and never so traffic-free as on this holiday morning. I rode to the starting point and joined the group as we headed for the leafy shade of Stevens Canyon. We proceeded ever-so-slightly uphill to the end of the paved road, then headed back down for some fun on a pair of short, friendly climbs.

On my way back, I tried the service at the new bike shop in town, Mike's Bikes. They were cheerful and helpful, confirming my suspicion that my bike was due for a new chain. Twenty minutes later, a happy customer rolled out of the shop with a much happier drive train, to celebrate with lunch in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment