June 11, 2016

No Words

This might have been a story about another beautiful day spent cycling with friends.

A story about my uncertainty about being able to bike 53 miles and climb 5,400 feet, with tired legs and woozy head. Insufficient calories, or feeling the effects of Tuesday's blood donation?

About the friendly cyclists who chatted with me as we climbed Old La Honda.

The fox that darted across Pescadero Creek Road.

Cyclist adjusting his bike at a Fixit station, Pescadero, California
The Arcangeli Bakery that is so welcoming to cyclists they've installed a Fixit station behind their shop.

View of coastal hills and the Pacific Ocean, Stage Road near San Gregorio, California
The clear view to the coast from Stage Road.

The welcome sound of water flowing again in Tunitas Creek.

The riders who will crowd this route tomorrow for a charity event.

Young redwoods joining a circle of second-growth trees, Tunitas Creek Road, near Half Moon Bay, California
The exuberance of young redwoods.

Normally, there is little traffic on Tunitas Creek Road. After being passed by one Highway Patrol car and two San Mateo Sheriff SUVs, I was concerned.

One of the Sheriff SUVs came back down, slowly, lights flashing. Only to turn around and return, slowly, lights flashing.

Were they searching for a fugitive? Were we in danger?

Someone has marked the road to indicate distance to the top. 10km, 9km, 8km ...

I rounded a bend and there were so many emergency vehicles it was hard to make sense of the scene.

Paramedics. Two ambulances. SUVs. Patrol cars. Many officers standing in the road.

A bicycle resting on the ground, a rider's helmet placed carefully on top.

A cyclist who, like me, had set out to enjoy a challenging ride on a beautiful day.

My thoughts turned to a poem by W. H. Auden, Musée des Beaux Arts: “ ... the sun shone as it had to ... ”

I dismounted and passed with head bowed and a heavy heart.

Before I reached Skyline, a black van eased its way down the hill.

Before I reached Skyline, there were suddenly sirens. A Sheriff SUV had flown up the hill, lights flashing. At the top, a chaotic scene. Paramedics busy with a motorcyclist on the ground.

I chose a gap and picked my way through the debris. Before crossing Skyline, I looked carefully in both directions. Then, I looked again. And again.

There are no words for a day like this.

1 comment:

  1. I must have been a bit behind you on this ride. As I approached the scene I saw two police SUV's but nothing else. And then as I passed them I saw a sheet on the ground with a body and a pair of cycling shoes underneath it. I don't know what to do when a ride gets this heavy, but I'm grateful that there's someone out there who understands the experience and might read this comment. Be safe out there.

    ReplyDelete