September 17, 2014

Sonora Pass

I was so inspired by the Sonora Pass on my way to the Eastern Sierras that I chose to return to the Bay Area over the same route. Following no timetable, I could dawdle along the way.

View from California Highway 108 east of the Sonora Pass
A steep hairpin rounded an overlook where I found a forestry worker monitoring a distant fire near Yosemite. Bypassing the famous National Park had kept me clear of the crowds, and the smoke.

Wide river valley with smoke rising from a fire in the distance, viewed from California Highway 108 east of the Sonora Pass
The next stop that caught my eye was Leavitt Falls. Given the current state of drought, my expectations were low. Happily, some water was flowing.

Leavitt Falls, east of the Sonora Pass, California
The summit beckoned, but ... what about that cooler on the front seat of my car? Signs in the parking area recommended the bear-proof lockers, explaining that the bears know what a cooler signifies. I was car hiking, not car camping; should I worry?

View from a trail near the summit at Sonora Pass, California
As I picked my way along the crumbly trail up the hill, I wondered why I hadn't taken a few moments to don my hiking boots and grab my walking stick. Climbing back down would be tricky.

Scenic California Highway 108 approaching granite cliffs, west of the Sonora Pass
At this pace, I reckoned it might take most of the day to complete the 80-mile scenic drive. And that was fine with me.

View of the Dardenelles from the Donnell Vista, west of the Sonora Pass
My last stop was the Donnell Vista. I'm not uncomfortable with heights, but here I met my match. Gazing up at the distant lava formations of the Dardenelles was much easier than gazing down [way, way down] at Donnell Lake and the Middle Fork of the Stanislaus River. I must have never stood at the edge of such a precipice, till now.

Eastern end of Donnell Lake, west of the Sonora Pass, California
Past this point, the road snaked through the forest and delivered me to the edge of the Central Valley by dusk, bringing my fall Sierra adventure to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment