September 17, 2014

Mono Lake

Tufa formations in Mono Lake, California
I have wanted to visit Mono Lake from the first time I saw a photo of its iconic spires, well before I moved to the west coast. From the Bay Area, it's a long drive ... and I'm not particularly comfortable with long drives.

Tufa and Rabbitbrush along the south shore of Mono Lake, California
I made it out there, finally, to cycle in the Eastern Sierras. As I drove past the lake, I couldn't resist making a quick stop. Surely I could manage a proper visit today, early on my long drive home.

Alkaline deposits exposed along the shore of Mono Lake, California
Rather than the visitor center on the western shore, close to the highway, I headed for the southern edge to get a good look at the famed tufa formations.

Trail through tufa formations leading to shoreline of Mono Lake, California
I wandered freely on the trails. There was a small group of children on a school trip, but otherwise not much of a crowd. Curious, I dipped my fingers in the alkaline water. Not surprisingly, it felt soapy.

Tufa formations along the shoreline of Mono Lake, California
The passing clouds and the wind altered the view throughout my visit; it would be easy to spend the better part of a day here, especially when the migrating birds are in town. But having stretched my legs and my sense of wonderment, it was time to embark on the next phase of my journey. Westward, home!

No comments:

Post a Comment