September 12, 2014

Lakes, South and Sabrina

Decisions, decisions. The full route for today's ride sounded pretty daunting, with the first climb a slow uphill grind through the desert on a state highway with little or no shoulder (and some blind curves). We would visit two lakes today, South Lake and Lake Sabrina, and the group was buzzing about the steep approach to South Lake.

Moon setting over jagged peaks near Aspendell, California
Hot day. Steep finish. High altitude.

Riding straight from the hotel had a certain appeal, but I fretted about completing the ride. This group of riders is a class above; if they think this is a difficult ride, for me it might be a climb too far. In his Complete Guide to Climbing (By Bike) books, John Summerson listed South Lake as the 8th most difficult climb in California, and 21st in the United States (13th and 32nd for Lake Sabrina). The cover of the first edition to his Complete Guide to Climbing (by bike) in California features a photo taken on the climb to Lake Sabrina.

Pines and golden aspens on rocky slopes near South Lake, Eastern Sierras, California
Maybe I should ride from the hotel to Lake Sabrina, skipping South Lake. After poring over the map online [thank you, Google Streetview], I embraced the wisdom of the crowd. Most people planned to drive to an intermediate point, skipping the long climb through the desert in favor of the upper climbs.

When I stepped out of the car at Aspendell (elevation 8,400 feet), I felt a little woozy. [Uh oh.] I decided to start the ride and turn back if I felt unsteady. I often start to feel the effects of altitude at an elevation of 8,000 feet, so this was no surprise.

My regular ride buddy, having done these rides before, had moved on to tackle some mountains farther south. I was delighted to pair up with another rider who was content to match my pace—and who shared my weakness for photo ops.

We paced ourselves up the long climb to South Lake, dreading the long steep pitch we expected at the end. It was so quiet that I was startled by a loud whoosh whoosh when a pair of ravens swooped alongside us, checking us out.

Low water level at South Lake, Eastern Sierras, California
The road pitched up a bit ... and then, there we were! A recurring theme of this trip is “I kept expecting it to get horrible, and it didn't.” [Not that I'm complaining.] I felt triumphant as I circled the parking lot at the top; another rider commented that I looked fresh. [Pacing. It's all about the pacing.]

Lake Sabrina, Eastern Sierras, California
We headed back down and turned onto the (easier) climb up to Lake Sabrina, which rewarded us with a clear view of the old Cardinal Gold Mine along the way; today, the only gold we saw was in the changing colors of the aspen leaves.

Cardinal Mine near Aspendell, California
Mountain berry pie à la mode was my reward for 3,110 feet of climbing over 23 miles.

Bicycle, orange aspens, and rocky peaks with sign Begin Scenic Route near Lake Sabrina, Eastern Sierras, California
Back at the hotel, I found a cyclist pulling a beautiful bicycle out of his somewhat rare 12-cylinder BMW. He was not part of our group; he was in town for the weekend's big event, the White Mountain Double. And because he was using this as a training ride for the Everest Challenge, he was hoping to make it a double double: Ride the 200-mile course twice (Saturday and Sunday).

Crazy. I will never attempt a double century, much less back-to-back double centuries; not tomorrow, and definitely not when I'm ... 72 years old. Crazy.

Nonetheless, we are sampling our way through the Everest Challenge. One climb at a time.

1 comment:

  1. You are a sensible woman. However, I enjoyed the Lake Tahoe Prologue where we climbed one or two Death-Ride passes at a time, to the Death Ride itself, which I am not crazy enough to attempt.

    ReplyDelete